Scholarship Recommendation Letter – First Step Towards Your Dream
Firstly, the professor should be aware of why the student applies for a scholarship – the primary purpose. Realizing fundamental principles, you can confirm the qualification of the candidate and explain in the letter why he needs financing and which contribution he adds to the development of science, for example.
It is important to stay in touch with the student and cooperate. In that way, there will be enough information based on personal experience to share. Writing a scholarship letter, emphasize strong skills and work experience of the candidate.
A scholarship recommendation letter is defined as specific feedback about a candidate from a tutor. What is important for the committee, when they already have your CV and motivation letter? Of course, it is the description of your character by the other person, a view from the side – a scholarship letter. If it is written correctly, it might be your chance to get financing.
In the West, a scholarship letter of recommendation is considered to be a sign of respect when a student asks his mentor in the university to write it. Usually, a professor appreciates it and will be ready to help. That is important information for the committee because they receive it from a person, who saw a candidate in the working process and can give an assessment of the results.
The person, who will write such paper, should be motivated to help the student. Before writing, it is necessary to overthink some details. The mentor should know the student well from different sides. A scholarship letter should contain genuine facts, which encourage the committee to approve a scholarship. If you feel that you do not know the candidate well enough, your recommendation letter can reduce the chances to get a positive answer.
How to Write a Scholarship Recommendation Letter?
The key point is to know the student, his behavior, level of responsibility and knowledge and give a real grade for that person. Before writing a recommendation letter for scholarship, brainstorm and think about all positive sides of the candidate. The recommendation letter should include such parts:
- It should be an individual paper according to the primary purpose of the future scholarship, avoid cliché and loud words.
- Be proud of your student and his achievements, explain why he is a good candidate (prove with facts, projects). Try to highlight why you are sure that he will be successful, doing the future project.
- Every quality of your student should be connected to the situation or your supervision during the working process.
- Try to show more about professionalism (here should be discussed the qualities that will be appropriate to a particular scholarship.
Represent your student in the best light so that the committee will not hesitate to approve his candidacy.
Scholarship Recommendation Letter Format and Structure
The style of a scholarship recommendation letter should be positive. It should also demonstrate the opinion of the candidate. Try to be specific in your explanation, for example, writing about qualities – give information on particular projects and tasks. Evaluating the level of the candidate, try to be honest and tell why he will be a good candidate in the frame of such scholarship.
The recommendation letter format for the scholarship should be as a strong, informative business letter. It will be sent to the particular selection committee, so it should be written correctly, without grammar mistakes and be no longer than two pages. It usually consists of the four main parts:
- Introduction. Who writes the letter and how long do they know each other with the candidate?
- Achievements of the candidate. A general estimation of the abilities, skills which were used to manage tasks, projects or researches. It is possible to describe achievements, rewards. In this part try to tell about strengths of the candidate, his background and the reason why he must get a scholarship.
- Personal qualities of the candidate. Write about the motivation of the student and leadership skills.
- Conclusion. There must be some reasons why the candidate deserves a scholarship. Do not forget to leave your contacts and signature.
All the information and facts should be actual, the same is about projects. Write the letter corresponding to the future scholarship or grant. Do not forget about the purpose; be focused on achievements and professional qualities. Find the most special quality in the candidate that can lead him to great success and inform about it in the recommendation letter.